• I haven't decided yet

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I'm still buying the set

Votes: 100 87.7%

• Total voters

minor muppetz

Reaction score
anathema said:
Yeah, but the creature is dancing to music. Presumably the music couldn't be cleared.
In the case of instrumental songs, couldn't they replace the music if they couldn't use it? I am not sure whether Disney has access to copies of the show that were made before the music was added so I don't know if just replacing music would be easy for instrumental songs that have dialog during the scenes.

rumtar_10165

Reaction score
Muppets cut??

Phillip Chapman said:
With The Muppet Show Season 1 set to release next Tuesday August 9, here is our review of the release. From the original openings to the cut scenes to the pitch reel, find out all the details of this box set. Post here and let us know what you think about the box set.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/dvd/tms_season_1.shtml

If you have any questions that aren't answered here, let us know and we'll try to help.
:frown: :cry: NOOOOO why would these great bits be cut in the first place.
When I watched the original airings I enjoyed watching thsese muppet bits.
now Just when I thought that it was coming out I find some bits missing.
Jim Neibors loosing his pants (pluss the background, and the muppet laddie) while singing Gone With the wind. ectra.
But I will buy the dvd 'cause it is the muppets.

anathema

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
In the case of instrumental songs, couldn't they replace the music if they couldn't use it? I am not sure whether Disney has access to copies of the show that were made before the music was added so I don't know if just replacing music would be easy for instrumental songs that have dialog during the scenes.
It's an interesting question.

In the case of 'Danceros', I suspect it wouldn't have been practical, since the creature is more-or-less tap-dancing to the music. Any replacement would have to follow the same rhythm.

Regarding 'clean' copies...I'm not sure what they have, but there were a brand-new set of Gaelic dubs done for an Irish broadcaster around five years ago. I've seen a couple of these, and they're rather neatly done: the guest star's voice is original, but all the Muppets are dubbed. I haven't listened too closely, but it does sound as if the dubbing holds up even when guest and Muppets are speaking at the same time, which tends to suggest that 'clean' sound may exist.

The new voices are actually rather good: Kermit and Gonzo sound particularly accurate, although it's definitely an odd experience watching the show when you're used to the originals!

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Here is the Review from the Boston Globe

''THE MUPPET SHOW": SEASON ONE(1976-'77)

It's both amazing and a shame that the Muppets, with so much character to go around, aren't a more relevant presence in today's pop cultural landscape. Lackluster TV revivals, sporadic DVD releases -- to paraphrase an old Kermit lament, it's not easy being evergreen. This overdue, more comprehensive set from new distributor Disney sets things right a bit. Ultimately, though, this is just a teaser for later seasons, as the show still feels surprisingly formative at this point -- even Miss Piggy isn't her true, fabulous self in initial episodes.

Extras: Jim Henson's original pitch reel and pilot; on-screen trivia feature. (Buena Vista, $39.99)

Sean Gaffney

Reaction score
The songs that were cut, with writer credits (this does not mean the writers own the songs, of course):

Wayne and Wanda:
Stormy Weather
Words and Music by Harold Arlen
Recorded by many, many people, including Cab Calloway and Ella Fitzgerald

Jim Nabors #1:
Gone With The Wind
written by Herb Magidson and Allie Wrubel
Recorded by Horace Heidt (#1 in 1937)

for the Danceros number:
Bye-Bye Blues
Words & Music by Fred Hamm, Dave Bennett, Bert Lown & Chauncey Gray
Recorded by Bessie Smith, 1924

The Paul Williams opening number:
All of Me
Words & Music by Seymour Simons & Gerald Marks
Recorded by Frank Sinatra, 1952; also recorded by Willie Nelson

Charles Aznavour #1:
The Old-Fashioned Way
Written by Charles Aznavour
Recorded by Charles Aznavour

Vincent Price final number:
You've Got a Friend
Written by Carole King
Recorded by almost everyone in the entire world, including James Taylor

There you go. :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
So are there replacements for the seagments that are cut? I was wondering if they just start it off like any other Muppet Show or did they replace the skits that are cut with US versions or something.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
So are there replacements for the seagments that are cut? I was wondering if they just start it off like any other Muppet Show or did they replace the skits that are cut with US versions or something.
No theres no replacements of the cut songs..the episodes are just not as long as the others. The cut episodes are about 21-23 minutes long while a full episode is about 25-26 minutes long

rexcrk

Reaction score
Does anyone know why they didn't include the Jim Henson Retrospective? I was looking forward to that one.

That Announcer

Reaction score
rexcrk said:
Does anyone know why they didn't include the Jim Henson Retrospective? I was looking forward to that one.
In a word: space. According to Greg over at the Muppet News Flash, there was very little space left on the discs, so the retrospective was cut. It may be on the second season, so watch for it! :smile: